Thursday, October 9, 2008

Introducing --- The Spec-Band

Wikipedia helps me with the definition of glasses as " Glasses, also called eyeglasses or spectacles, are frames bearing lenses worn in front of the eyes, normally for vision correction, eye protection, or for protection from UV rays."

Wikipedia also helps me with the definition of headband as "A headband is a clothing accessory worn in the hair or around the forehead, usually to hold hair away from the face or eyes. Headbands generally consist of a loop of elastic material or a horseshoe-shaped piece of flexible plastic or metal. They come in assorted shapes and sizes and are used for both practical and fashion purposes."

So what happens when your glasses are used as a headband? Lo and behold! The spec-band.

I will take the efforts to try and define a spec-band.

A spec band is a frame bearing lenses worn in front of the eyes, the hair or around the forehead, usually for vision correction, eye protection, protection from UV rays or hold hair away from the face or eyes.


Kareena Kapoor with the Spec-Band

That was a tough definition, and now I should attempt at dissecting it.

Let us assume a person is wearing glasses to help his eye see better either in the form of correcting vision or eye protection or protection from UV rays. What are the reasons fo rnot wearing them in front of your eyes? A few of the reasons could be ...
  1. I don't want to wear them and I can't find a place to keep them.
  2. I don't want to wear them and I am too lazy to move my muscles to get them off my eyes, fold them, open the case, put them in the case and shut the case.
  3. I can see a few things clearly without glasses than with them.
  4. I have more than 2 eyes and I sometimes see with one pair, some times with the other. The other pair is sometimes located on my forehead, sometimes on the top of my head, sometimes even on the back of my head.
For 1 and 2, I have no quip.

Akshay Kumar with the Spec-Band


For 3, one can buy bifocals.

An unknown person using his spec-band instead of buying bifocals

As regards reason 4, no human or near human being barring Lord Shiva has been observed to have more than 2 eyes. I may be wrong, however, if this is as common as the Spec-Band that we see, ophthalmologists would be minting a lot of money!!!!

The almighty without a spec-band

Coming to the almightly Lord Shiva, it is probably a question of really innovative design to create a Spec-Band for him. Not only it might be cumbersome for him to wear the Spec-Band for the eyes in his matted locks, but it might be easier to put it in the case when not wanting to use it.
Added to this other problems like his spec-band getting wet owing to the flowing Ganga or the moon complaining of lack of space owing to the double use of the band!!! Also I wonder if Shiva will use it at all, considering that in the case he uses it as glasses and opens his third eye, it could end up burning the serpent instead of the whole world!

Hence I am inclined to believe it is, in most cases, one of the first two reasons.

Please be aware, the Spec-Band is pronounced very close to a famous Arthur Conan Doyle story ".... Speckled Band". The protagonist in the story neither wears spectacles nor a head band.

There's more to innovative designs. The Spec-Band can now be marketed with earphones and an mp3 player. I shall call it the spec-pod-band.

An unknown cricket-player not using his glasses as a spec-band, but using his cap as a spec-holder

No comments: